Tuesday, August 25, 2020

New Edition of The Book of Mules: An Introduction the the Original Hybrid

 

The Book of Mules: An Introduction to the Original Hybrid has just been released and is available on Amazon.com in paperback.

 

Some of you may have already bought The Book of Mules (Thank you!). If that is the case, you probably don’t need the new one.

When the The Book of Mules became out of print, I decided to republish it myself. I made a few changes. First, I changed the subtitle to “An Introduction to the Original Hybrid.” That has always been my intention in writing the book – to introduce mules to first-time owners or folks who are still in the “thinking about it” stage. I think you more experienced owners will find some useful information, too.

You will find chapters on the origin and history of the mule, types of mules and their uses, how to care for them, health issues, raising mules, and some training principles. While a good deal of what’s true of horses is true of mules, a good deal is different. I updated some of the back-matter. Websites come and go, and a few did go in the eleven years since first publication, as well as farms and businesses.

I added a new chapter at the end titled “Some Mule Tales.” The reason I added the mule tales is because back in 2009 when The Book of Mules first was published, I met folks who shared their stories with me at some of my book signings. These people had farmed and worked with mules back in the days before tractors were the norm. Some stories were funny, and some were bitter-sweet. Thanks to social media when I asked for stories, I got some response. I am happy to include their stories because they are an important part of American’s heritage. I hope you’ll enjoy them as much as I did.

I didn’t get back all of the photos used in the book first time around. So, there are some different pictures. The book looks different in and out, but the information is the same except for minor tweaks here and there. Another thing, I really wanted to have this paperback edition printed in color, but it would have cost folks nearly $30, therefore the interior is in black and white. The Kindle version has color. All that being said, I am simply happy to have The Book of Mules: An Introduction to the Original Hybrid available for future readers to add to their library.

PS If you buy the book please leave a review as all of the previous reviews disappeared when the old editions came off Amazon. And, if you will email me that you’ve bought the book, I’ll be happy to send you a signed bookplate that you can stick inside of your copy.

Find me on Amazon at amazon.com/author/donnacampbellsmith

 

No comments: